5.14.2006

You Tube, You blew my mind

OK,
I just spent an hour watching videos of "idols" on YouTube.com. It's almost like I met them!

Horowitz, Segovia, Glenn Gould, Cat Power, Bjork,
Bjork and PJ Harvey singing I Can't Get No Satisfaction
(which I've had an MP3 of for years)
Caetano Veloso and then Elis Regina.
I have loved her for many years. She died in 1982.
I just expected that I would never see a visual to match the
aural image in my mind.
I only watched 2 short clips and had to stop because it was too much for me.
It Was Too Great!
I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy...
YouTube, what hast thou wrought?
I think that we are crossing a threshold now.
Everything is to be at our fingertips.
Brave New World!

As for Joel's question, I would like to say (and it would be funny if I was a better writer) Bekkah and I went to go see Charlie Haden at a jazz club here in NYC and he was great and he is my favorite bass player of all time and I play the bass and I have my instrument set up like his and I told him this and I usually have a rule about talking to celebrities because I always feel like a schmo, which was crystalized for me in 1996 when I talked to my favorite living classical piano player, Maurizio Pollini, and he pretended to only speak Italian so he wouldn't have to endure me for very long and anyway Charlie Haden really wanted to talk to Bekkah because she looks just like one of his daughters, either Rachel or Petra, I'm not sure which, but he certainly thought so.
But he was very nice, as far as idols go.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dallas' Inwood Theater, late '85 (?), David Byrne shook my hand after a screening of Stop Making Sense. We were both wearing questionable plaid jackets with Keds. And of course, I was always quite proud about that last bit.

10:27 AM  
Blogger Danielle said...

Oh! Rachel and Petra Haden from... That Dog? Nineties flashback!

5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home