4.21.2006

Prince among men

As my Prince education continues, I feel obliged to share this video of the Purple One, Jeff Lynne and Tom Petty performing While My Guitar Gently Weeps at what I presume was George's tribute concert. The eagle-eyed might notice little Stevie Winwood throwing shapes at the keys too. Got the video off Tofu Hut, for the record.

First, I got a shock seeing George's son Dhani. I realized he looked like his dad, but holy shit -- spitting image of him in his Quarrymen days. It pained me.

Second, Prince comes on about halfway through and just utterly rips it up. His bit follows an axemeister journeyman bloke's note-for-note reproduction of Clapton's solo, and leaves it in the shade with his own Princified/Hendrixified but utterly-faithful-in-spirit, literally-death-defying monster of a kicked-out jam.

6 Comments:

Blogger jEFF said...

Thanks Alex!
That is truly mind blowing.
No,
I mean it.

12:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction of GH.

And, yeah, I got chills several times. I love Prince's "I'm done now" strut off the stage at the end.

Also, look for Jeff's upcoming tribute post to Jeff Lynne and ELO, focussing especially on the song, "Xanadu."

1:42 AM  
Blogger jEFF said...

In the style of http://rogerbourland.com/redblackwindow/
I will give you a quick analysis:

Xanadu

I /I /I /III
vi /flat iii dim /ii /V

repeat

I /iii /IV /iv (the money chord.think of sleepwalk)

repeat

Chorus
I /I /II /II
iv /V /IV /I

repeat

Then repeat the whole form.

There's a couple of flourishes in there, including the most powerful of chord progressions ever to end the song -- flat VI ghuh ghuh ghuh ghuh ghuh ghuh ghuh flat VII ghuh ghuh ghuh ghuh ghuh ghuh and a glorious I chord dhuh dhuh dhuh dhuh dhuh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12:26 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

Belatedly:

1) The sight of Dhani hurts me. Of course, I'm still not over George being dead, because I am a dork.

2) Prince is a fucking genius. A musically inconsistent, tiny, resplendent, egotistical, freakish genius. And apparently (see Dave Chappelle) a badass basketball player and cooker of pancakes.

3) I love that he planned to fall backwards off the stage and had a dude there ready to push him back up. 'Here's a transcendent moment I prepared earlier!'

4) I hate those big all-star jams for the Hall of Fame inductions. The tempo is usually about five times too slow. Prince made it all worthwhile.

5) That is not my favourite George song by a long shot. Good, but overrated.

6) Uh. There is no six. Well, let's just say I liked Prince's hat.

11:02 PM  
Blogger Alex said...

Agreed on WMGGW being a little overrated. I was also amused by the fall backwards...but it was redeemed by the fact that Dhani obviously didn't know it was coming and clearly got a huge kick out of it.

9:53 AM  
Blogger jEFF said...

Beware Of Darkness

A favorite of mine!

4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home