4.18.2006

Pavement

There is no band that I regret missing more than Pavement.
The fact that I missed it proves that I don't know very much.
Sometimes I ignore a band because of their name (Death Cab For Cutie).
Sometimes I ignore a band because I think there is too much hype (Nirvana).
I can be prejudiced against entire genres (Country and Rap).
And I don't really listen to the radio very much. So that might explain a little bit
about how I missed them. I remember Alex showed me a video around 2000. They were already broken up by then so it was too late to get excited. I liked it but didn't seek any of it out. Then Senor Rozzi gave me the DVD Slow Century.

This was one of those times, and I think that Bekkah is a big proponent of this theory, that I really had to see the band perform to get it. By the end of the DVD I was exstatic. I have almost all of their music now.

The one original thought I can add to the Pavement argument (is there an argument?) is that their music is a little bit like Ornette Coleman's. There is often 2 simultaneous melodies going on. It is joyous , exuberant, slightly detached and intelligent, but with folksy (populist) undertones.
I believe that Malkmus, not Cobain, was the voice of the 90's.

Some Of My Favorite Pavement Songs

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

you should check out Stephen Malkmus' solo material, bro.

3:53 PM  
Blogger jEFF said...

I should go see him on the 4th of July and stay for the whole concert.
Wink Wink

8:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's so funny you mention, I was listening to them thinking they were the most monumentally underrated band of all time and would be curious what other bands people think were under rated underexposed. I mean, listen to Pavement, how great are they? How palatable to the college kids, but didn't hit the Nirvana heights even though they ran concurrently to the whole movement, I guess they were the thinking mans, like NIck Drake in the sixties to the Cat Stevens??? Good thing they are still alive!! To post late since I don't read much, trying to think who I caught on late to, but to to comment, I think Smiths is so much about the age you latch on, to me it was so much about my teen angst, being 15 and full of depression, they were there for me Morrissey understood me when my parents didn't!! It doesn't quite do the same for me. Also the cult of rabid fans in England, feeling you had a brotherhood somewhere while stuck in middle america helped. Caught on to the Feelies late, Velvet Underground, OMD is a recent embrace (they were a bit fey for me in the 80's but love now, as well as Fad Gadget for 80's, but haven't totally submerced in these artists so may be overstating....Wilco - nah, i'm not too into them.. I mean California Stars and the Drummer song but those are the hits, the rest is just too folky and the Egg album - wha???I tried but it hasn't happened for me. now there's a post!! xo, t'pow

9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home