11.20.2005

Thank you for inviting me, boys.


I'm so pleased to be asked to contribute to Ranh Ranh. However, the does of femininity you so require my not come whilst we bang our heads in sheer joy to the topic at hand, piano rock. I'm pleased with my co-columnists' nod the the historical, yet I sit here and think "Why on earth hasn't anyone started the discussion of Ben Folds????" Okay, it'll be me. That's why I'm here, right? For the moderninity. And the femininity.

Not much piano rock rocks harder than One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces. That's why it was not only the perfect choice to start the album "Whatever and Ever Amen," but it's a perfect choice for this topic. It's the piano that makes it rock so hard, friends. I love this album for many reasons, one of them is that it's a trio. Piano, bass and drums, recorded in a living room with such enthusiasm and joy that you can't help but just fall in love instantly.

At 1:47 into the song the piano takes you on a little joyride that tells you this is not your average three-dude-rock-band, and leads into the bitchin' pounding octaves of joy at 2:15 that functions as a bridge. Are you in love yet? Also, check out the little funny at 3:20. You also can't help but enjoy the smart assed lyrics. This guy's the whole package.

Also, I couldn't in good conscience, not bring up the rockin'-ness of Song For the Dumped, which should really be known as Give Me My Money Back. More good piano-driven rock, but check out the mini-display of piano virtuosity at 2:07, even though it sounds a little out of tune, it's hard to bothered by it when you're pleased by the old-timey quality of the piano sound. Basically the arrangement just kicks butt - check out the last chorus if you don't believe me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Alex said...

Ah, you're a natural.

I am predisposed to the first album -- Underground, Uncle Walter and Best Imitation of Myself are the standout rock tunes, but his best ballads are on there as well (Alice Childress) and his quintessential song, his career peak: the mighty Philosophy. Nice Gershwin reference in the ball-busting piano solo too.

9:09 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

And to continue my theme of commenting when the conversation is long over, let me add that 'Bastard', from the latest album, is also quite rockin', and includes one of the more important sentiments of our time, something I want to impart to snobby little know-it-alls everywhere: 'Why you gotta act like you know when you don't know? It's OK if you don't know everything.'

(Word verification for this comment is 'leers'. Stop being such a dirty old perv, Blogger.)

7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home