11.03.2005

Happy Birthday!

Happy Birthday Sir Alex!
If you haven't listened to this in a while give it a tumble.

MP3: Birthday

Hard to believe Bjork is 17 on this record. She sounds more or less the same now, which just proves to me that she is, in that hackneyed phrase, a true original.

Rilo Kiley--

They are great. Melodists, rockers, sentimentalists, beuatiful, and Miss Jenny definitely has the Listen To Me gene.
Even K-Rock would have to pay attention to the oversharing in this song.

MP3: More Adventurous

They make me think of another band that you turned me on to, The Mommyheads. Where Jenny is all woman, the singer of the Mommyheads, Adam Elk, is all guy. A sensitive guy perhaps, but guy he is. Those two are a marriage made in hypothetical couple heaven. The direct connection to "Pull Me In Tighter" is their employment of the Electric Piano, your "Fender Rhodes", your "Whirly", your one-way ticket to seventies mood swings. I love the electric piano, unconditionally. It is the first sound I go to when I am making pseudo-Smooth Jazz at home on my GarageBand.

MP3: Jaded

11 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Happy birthday, Alex.

If I were a guy I would be absolutly in love with Jenny. And Bjork.

But instead, I will now focus my MusiCrush on Adam Elk. Don't tell Jon Brion.

12:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

one more thing, great melody on Jaded. really nice. suprising, yet touches of the obvious. like kick-ass coffee with generic non-dairy creamer. it still tastes wonderful.

1:00 PM  
Blogger jEFF said...

Any thoughts on electric piano, Glycerin?

1:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

it sounds great - nice and sparse - sounds Rhodes-ey and very nice. sounds like they put some shit on it at the bridge- some delish guitar pedal perhaps


speaking of which, today we finally set up my Rhodes. It's been years since I've had it set up in the same place where I live.

4:49 PM  
Blogger Alex said...

Mmmm...Rhodes.

Say, Glycerin -- don't you live the in the land of Adam Elk these days? Or is he in SF?

12:23 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Not sure where he is. I'm in L.A. where Jon Brion is.... not that he will see me.

4:08 PM  
Blogger jEFF said...

If you are going to have a MusiCrush on him you should at least find out where he lives. And his Social Security number.

6:05 PM  
Blogger Lulu said...

go to the jon brion night at largo - i'm the 700th person to say this prob...but when I went he aske dpeople who were musicians to raise their hands then he picke dthe first three and had them up to play a song--you would blow his mind, babe

10:02 PM  
Blogger Lulu said...

the sugarcubes are the soundtrack of my junior year of college - maybe I came to them late but birthday transports me back. thanks to my roommates quirky semiandrogynous non boyfriend man companion who brought me the sugarcubesee and the pixies and so on...grand memories

10:23 PM  
Blogger jEFF said...

I think Lulu needs a trip to resource room.

4:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'll bite... what's the resource room?

1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home