8.21.2006

Post-Ironic Prince

MP3: Take Me With U

The song begins with a strange arena-rock Tom Tom fill layered with tubular bell keyboard arpeggios...

I can't disguise the pounding of my heart
It beats so strong
It's in your eyes what can I say
They turn me on

Great strummy acoustic guitar part.
It almost sounds like coffee house music.
So sincere!


I don't care where we go
I don't care what we do
I don't care pretty baby
Just take me with u

Can you remember a time before Prince?
A time when eveyone spelled out "you"and "to"?


Come on and touch the place in me
That's calling out your name
We want each other oh so much
Why must we play this game?

Prince and Apollonia had a kind of caveman relationship. Yet there is a tenderness there...

Don't care where we go
I don't care what we do
I don't care pretty baby
Just take me with u

I think what makes me love this song so much is that it is a duet.
And Prince's voice is clearly submarined to Apollonia's in this melodramatic bridge:

I don't care if we spend the night at your mansion
I don't care if we spend the night on the town
All I want is 2 spend the night together
All I want is 2 spend the night in your arms

The most unique thing about Prince, lyrically speaking, is his ability, no, insistence on saying the most ludicrous things in an earnest, "Isn't this the way everybody converses?" manner.
I only wanted 2 see U underneath the Purple Rain
U musta took a whole hour just 2 make up your face, baby
I said now, overcast days never turned me on

To be around u is so-oh right
you're sheer perfection (thank u)
Drive me crazy, drive me all night
Just don't break up the connection

The "thank u" call and response is completely with out irony.

I don't care where we go
I don't care what we do
I don't care pretty baby
Just take me with u

Apollonia rocks (and purrs) this final chorus!
Does anyone have any Apollonia 6 MP3s?
And wouldn't it be weird if it was really his voice, just electronically altered like he did with IF I Was Your Girlfriend?
Does he really need anyone else? His stubborn isolation (he has claimed to only listen to his own music) is what gives him his unironic edge.


Just take me with u
Oh wont u take me with u
Honey take me with u

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

wow, for someone who claims to not care about lyrics, I'm suprised and touched by your entry.

U R good, El Jefe.

3:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Delirious" is another one with the sort of ludicrous sincerity you only hear from Prince. Great post, brutha. Welcome back.

8:30 PM  
Blogger bex said...

My only complaint is that you left out the ah-woo-hoo-hoo's.

8:35 AM  
Blogger Michael Arthur said...

Am I to understand you have a nostalgia for the unironic?

2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home