3.29.2006

his royal badness

so recently i, yes i, the hef (ahem. dammit.) jeff was surfing the internets.

as you do.

and i found this great tribute to sxsw, tiger beat magazine and the purple one all rolled into one fabulous package at blackbook. i found it on my own without the assistance of my super fantastico wife who i never thank enough for all the internets goodness she sends my way. just sayin.

the musicians interviewed were asked what prince song is their favorite. most of these rockers picked songs off of "purple rain". which is cool. just not very punkrock. unless one were to choose "the beautiful ones" which is always punkrock.

anyway, i thought it would be interesting to force her to blog while i'm playing with the cat in the other room. DAMMIT. i mean, i thought it would be fun to let you know that my favorite prince song is rockhard in a funky place from the black album. check it.

then perhaps you would like to join the discussion by sharing your favorite prince rogers nelson song with me.

regards,
zombie wife...DAMN. IT. Jeff.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What he's after in Rockhard works better in Housequake, for me. My favorite is either "Ballad of Dorothy Parker" (great vocal and lyrics and bridge) or "When Doves Cry" (that keyboard solo! a song so funky it doesn't need a bass!). Now that I'm thinking about it, I think he doesn't get enough props for his ballads (Slow Love, Nothing Compares 2U, When 2R in Love)

12:09 PM  
Blogger Alex said...

I'm not a Prince guy really, but some of his stuff is undeniable.

Kiss is just so brilliantly stripped down and quivering, and When Doves Cry is also even greater for being so sparse (note to self: Britt Daniel's major production influence must be Prince). Raspberry Beret and Pop Life are terrific, and Let's Go Crazy just rocks.

I'm sure I'm missing a lot by not digging in deeper -- outside of Purple Rain, what's the best album to pick up for more indoctrination?

Least favorite Prince song: hands down, it's Purple Rain. Monotonous.

2:59 PM  
Blogger sonnet said...

I'm just going to ignore that last thing my husband said because he's been working too hard and has obviously lost his mind.

Purple Rain, the album, was pretty critical for me. It was the first movie I ever saw without my mom's permission. And I remember later that year I got in trouble for knowing all the words to Darling Nikki. I guess I really got in trouble for singing all the words to Darling Nikki. Let's Go Crazy always makes me. But I think I have to go with the one-two punch of I Would Die 4 U and Baby I'm A Star. Those two songs are meant to be together and they are musical zoloft to me.

4:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Outside of Purple Rain, the best album is Sign o' the Times--esp. disc 1.

2:26 PM  
Blogger jEFF said...

I love all of that too. those years 1983-1987. Purple Rain, Around The World, Parade, Sign O' The Times, Black Album, Lovesexy. Only 3 or 4 bad songs out of all of these records(condition of the heart?).

11:18 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I remember thowing a party while in college. We're in my tiny Boston apartment on Burbank Street and I'm in a hot sweaty room filled with incredibly talented musicians from all over the world. Sign O The Times is playing on a boom box (!) and everyone is singing along and absolutly digging on and loving on... that's right.... The Ballad of Dorothy Parker. It was like a group hug. It's a moment nobody will ever take away from any of us, dammit!

5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home