2.25.2006

Sonnet Vs. Jeff

Sonnet wins!
She kicked my butt.
Have you ever gone into an argument, or meeting, or made a project with a great plan of attack. You were very sure of yourself. You had thought out your strategy, and were a wee bit proud of yourself. You had proven that you are the apple of God's eye. That's what happened to me.
I thought my mix was gonna be better.
How wrong I was.
My mix had too many tropical songs. There was Joao Gilberto and Brasil '66. And some Mexican stuff.
Goes with the terrain, right?
And I thought I was cute to put songs with the words "sun" and "water" on the mix.
With that some novelty tunes like David Brent singing "Spaceman" and, dare I admit it?, the theme song from "One Day At a Time".
And we all love Sam Phillips and Johnny Cash so there was a lot of that on the mix.

How wrong I was.

Sonnet understood that a beach mix should be fun and peppy. She had Arctic Monkeys and The Strokes. "Oh Sherrie" and Rogue Wave. Her only failure was some Chuba Wubba cover.
My only success was White Stripes.

This got me thinking about a trip I made to Galveston when I was twelve. My mom drove me, my sister and my friend Steve Young in our green RX3. With us we had my JVC Jam Box, some D batteries and a few 1982 cassetee tapes. There was Berlin's Pleasure Victim and Iron Maiden. Plus I had The Cars first record on a Maxell casette (which I had recorded off of KLBJ in its entirety, commercial free!). We listened to that stuff on the Galveston beach, probably multiple times. That is beach music!!
Not some clever hodge podge that over-intellectualizes the beach experience (which is one of the most anti-intellectual things I can think of).

The true winner of the trip, however, is a song that never ever came up on our 4 AAA $99 JBL speakers:

MP4: My Doorbell

Some our variations included--

I'm thinking about my french toast, when I'm gonna eat it, when I'm gonna eat it!

I'm thinking about his ass cheeks, how he really burned 'em, how he really burned 'em!
(about a German tourist wearing a Speedo)

I'm thinking about my diaper, how I'm really floating, how I'm really floating!
(we wore life preservers to float down ancient Mayan canals....around our butts!)

PS. If you start doing this word salad songwrting, you will have a hard time stopping.

3 Comments:

Blogger bex said...

i'm thinkin about the weather
how it's cold n crappy
how it's cold n crappy

it won't go away! aye, white stripes, i love you and yet i shake my fists at you.

i have to defend jeff's list a bit because he didn't have complete control over it - he let us all pull musics on our own without really reviewing the compliation.

[note: "crappy" should be pronounced "crappay"]

11:02 AM  
Blogger sonnet said...

What? I win?

Yeaaah me! I would like to claim my prize by apologizing again for punching you in your hurt ribs. Please forgive.

I'm thinkin' about your rub bones
How I really punched 'em,
How I really punched 'em.

2:19 PM  
Blogger sonnet said...

I would also just like to say that that Chumba Wumba song was a remix. And it's really Alex who like it.

6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home