8.26.2005

Buckets of Ranh

You may not know what the title of Tangled Up In Blue means, but then again you do, don't you? It makes emotional sense even when it doesn't make literal sense. TUIB is one of the first Dylan songs I truly loved -- I'd heard it on KERA 90.1 in Dallas, and as non-Dylan fan at the time found it to be more melodic and more straightforwardly emotional than I expected from Zim (although there are some good jokes buried in those lyrics). I then picked up the record it came from at a particularly opportune time...Blood On The Tracks had a reputation as the king of all breakup records, and I found that to be true. Loss, anger, self-loathing, other-loathing, depression, romanticizing your pain, stubborn hope...it's all there. Who knows how crucial my immersion in that record proved to be in the Journey That Is My Life.

Here is Buckets of Rain, Blood On The Tracks final song, although this version is by the immensely talented (and immensely hawt) Neko Case. What do you think of people covering Dylan? And are there any other artists who you don't care for, but whose songs you like when covered by other people?

Anyways, I don't know if there's a particular Wilco song that indicates Jay Bennett had been listening to OOUMK(SOL)'s piano part -- I was thinking more about his little piano curlicues when they played live. Tweedy of course worships at Mr. Zimmerman's feet (indeed, he is growing Bob Dylan's beard)

MP3: Neko Case -- Buckets Of Rain

2 Comments:

Blogger Vanessa said...

deep breath . . . it's like crossfire, only crossfire is the anti-christ it now seems. dizzying, high-paced exchange. i want to know more about childhood and musical influences and how all that contributes to the men you are today. mmm hmm.

11:37 AM  
Blogger jEFF said...

Alex, Sistra just composition and rehetoriced our ass!
In other news, I typed in "war" into my itunes text window and 371 songs.

2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home